Third-Party J-1 Exchange Visitor

Third-party J-1 Exchange Visitor refers to an Exchange Visitor Program that is sponsored by a designated sponsoring organization other than Oregon State University.

Examples of this arrangement includes J-1 Students on Academic Training conducting training at OSU, OSU Fulbright Visiting Scholars, and other exchange visitors who have OSU listed as a site of activity but whose immigration status is sponsored by an organization other than OSU.

When to Contact the program sponsor?

Program sponsors are responsible for supporting and monitoring participants during their entire program stay. Participants should contact their sponsors directly for questions related to travel, employment eligibility, program changes or immigration and program advising.

When to Contact OIS?

If an international individual needs Oregon State University to sponsor immigration status for them to continue their exchange program or position at Oregon State University past their current status, please contact OIS 3 to 6 months in advance of their status ending. 

Contact OIS to start a record in our system. Having this information allows OIS to proactively communicate with international exchange visitors and employees and their host department about potential extensions or alternate status options that are available should their program be extended at OSU.

Other Considerations

Designated Sponsored Organizations with questions concerning information found on the Training/Internship Placement Plan (number of employees, workers compensation policy, etc.) or other placement arrangements should contact OIS.

The department hosting the visitor should prepare any necessary documents in regard to offer letters, OSU ID Card or sponsored accounts through Community Network Support. Since immigration sponsorship is not offered through OSU, OIS does not need to be involved in the visa or onboarding process.

Please contact OIS if you would like an individual included on our activities listserv or to gain access to orientation and housing resources.