If you previously attended OSU and would like to return on new immigration documents, please contact an international student advisor at least two months before your desired return date to discuss how you may resume your studies here.

Steps to Obtain a New I-20/DS-2019 to Return to OSU

  1. Check your Enrollment Eligibility (see next section)

  2. Complete the Returning Student I-20/DS-2019 Request Form

  3. Provide required financial documentation

    ​​​If you were previously enrolled at OSU within one year of your re-admittance, you may complete the Financial Certification online to provide proof of funding. If you have been away from OSU for longer than a year, you will need to provide financial documents with your request form.

  4. Sign up for shipping services to have your document mailed if necessary

  5. Pay the SEVIS fee for your new document

  6. Resolve any remaining registration holds

Enrollment Eligibility

INTO OSU Students

Email Academic Support to confirm that you have a return program. If you’ve been gone for an extended period of time you may need to submit another application to International Admissions.

Undergraduate Students

You may re-enroll after an absence of 3 terms or less provided you were eligible to re-enroll after your last term of attendance. After an absence of 4 or more terms, not including summer, you must reapply with the Office of the Registrar.

Graduate Students

Contact the Graduate School. You may be required to re-apply for admission to your program if you did not complete a Leave of Absence form prior to your departure.

Additional Concerns

Returning After a Suspension

If you would like to return to OSU or INTO OSU following a suspension you must appeal and be re-admitted. Degree students should email the Office of the Registrar for more information. INTO OSU students should contact Academic Support.

Visa Validity

If your previous visa is still valid you are typically not required to renew prior to your return, however, an updated visa may facilitate your re-entry to the US in some circumstances. We recommend seeking legal advice for complex situations. If you do need a new visa, contact a US Embassy or Consulate to apply.

Status Violations

If you have violated the terms of your F-1 visa status, you should discuss your options with an International Student Advisor. While you are out of status, you are not eligible for any benefits of your status including on-campus or off-campus employment and travel signatures. Since violating your visa status can have a serious impact on you, it is vital that you understand how you may be affected.