The Department of State (DOS) requires that all Exchange Visitors (J visa holders) have medical insurance in effect for themselves and any dependents in J-2 status for the duration of their stay in the United States. 

Mandatory Insurance Requirements

Minimum Coverage Requirements

Health insurance policies must meet the minimum benefit requirements set by the U.S. Department of State per [22 CFR 62.14]

  • (1) medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
  • (2) repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
  • (3) expenses associated with medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and
  • (4) a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Additional Terms

A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements must meet the other standards specified in the regulations. Details found in the Code of Federal Regulations [22 CFR 62.14].

Maintenance of Insurance

Willful failure on the scholar's part to maintain the required insurance will result in the termination of their exchange program.

Insurance through OSU

Scholars may enroll themselves, and dependents, in the OSU International Medical Plan (PDF includes rates) on a self pay basis. This plan meets the Department of State minimum requirements. Scholars and dependents, who are not enrolled in OSU credits, cannot use the OSU Student Health Services for treatment; however scholars may use OSU insurance to pay for medical treatment at off‐campus medical institutions and clinics. To enroll, scholars can use their OSU identification number to complete the "Visiting Scholar downloadable enrollment form" and follow the instructions for submission and payment. Contact OSU Student Insurance for additional information.

Insurance through Insurance Company

Exchange Visitors may purchase an insurance plan from a provider in their home country, or a company in the United States, as long as the policy meets the Department of State requirements. Some U.S. insurance providers are listed below; the providers listed below do not represent an endorsement by Oregon State University.

Insurance for OSU Postdoctoral Scholars and Employees

Insurance for OSU Postdoctoral Scholars: See the OSU Postdoctoral Scholar Insurance Plan page for details on insurance coverage offered through OSU and how to enroll.

Insurance for Full-time OSU Employees: Employees may be eligible for Public Employees' Benefit Board (PEBB) health insurance. Scholars should review their offer of employment, and contact their sponsoring department, to determine whether or not insurance coverage will be offered. For more information visit this page, or contact Human Resources.

Insurance for Part-time/Temporary OSU Postdocs/Employees: J-1 and Postdoctoral employees working at OSU, who do not qualify for an employer contribution (working less than .50 FTE or less than 90 consecutive days), are eligible for medical and dental coverage negotiated through the Public Employees' Benefit Board (PEBB) on a self-pay basis. For more information visit this page, or contact Human Resources.

Additional Terms

Affordable Care Act

Program sponsors are required to notify J-1 visa holders that they and their J-2 dependents may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Details regarding the ACA can be found at

Who is subject to ACA?

The answer depends whether an individual is considered a non-resident or resident for tax purposes. Non-residents for tax purposes are not subject to ACA, whereas residents for tax purposes are subject to ACA.

How do I determine whether or not I am a resident or non-resident for tax purpose?

An individual’s tax residency status is determined by the Internal Revenue Service. Detailed information on determining tax residency status can be found through the Internal Revenue Service.