The Department of State (DOS) requires that all Exchange Visitors (J visa holders) have medical insurance in effect for themselves and any dependents in J-2 status for the duration of their stay in the United States. Details found in the Code of Federal Regulations [22 CFR 62.14].

Mandatory Insurance Requirements

Minimum Coverage Requirements

Health insurance policies must meet the minimum benefit requirements set by the U.S. Department of State per [22 CFR 62.14]

  • (1) medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness;
  • (2) repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000;
  • (3) expenses associated with medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000; and
  • (4) a deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Additional Terms

A policy secured to fulfill the insurance requirements must meet the other standards specified in the regulations. This includes that Exchange Visitors, and any accompanying J-2 dependent spouse or children, also may be subject to the requirements of the Affordable Care Act.

Maintenance of Insurance

Willful failure on the scholar's part to maintain the required insurance will result in the termination of his/her exchange program.

Insurance through OSU

Scholars may enroll themselves, and dependents, in the OSU International Medical Plan (PDF includes rates) on a self‐pay basis. This plan meets the Department of State minimum requirements. Scholars and dependents, who are not enrolled in OSU credits, may not use the OSU Student Health Services for treatment but may use to pay for medical treatment at off‐campus medical institutions and clinics. To enroll, once you have your OSU identification number, complete the "Visiting Scholar downloadable enrollment form" and follow the instructions for submission and payment. Contact Mary Lloyd-Rex in the Plageman Student Health Center for additional information.

Insurance through a U.S. Company or Exchange Visitor's Home Country

Exchange Visitors may purchase an insurance plan for a provider in their home country, or a company in the United States, which meets the Department of State requirements. Some U.S. insurance providers are listed below; the providers listed below do not represent an endorsement by Oregon State University.

The Insurance Verification Form (IP Connect form) must be submitted to the Office of International Services before or during J-1 check-in upon arrival to the U.S. Scholars with an active ONID account should select the “Log-in with a  Network ID to Gain Full Access” link.

Insurance for OSU Postdoctoral Scholars and Employees

Insurance for OSU Postdoctoral Scholars: See the OSU Postdoctoral Scholar Insurance Plan page for details on insurance coverage offered through OSU and how to enroll.

Insurance for Full-time OSU Employees: Employees may be eligible for Public Employees' Benefit Board (PEBB) health insurance. Scholars should review their offer of employment, and contact their sponsoring deparment, to determine whether or not insurance coverage will be offered. For more information visit this page, or contact Human Resources.

Insurance for Part-time/Temporary OSU Postdocs/Employees: J-1 and Postdoctoral employees working at OSU, who do not qualify for an employer contribution (working less than .50 FTE or less than 90 consecutive days), are eligible for medical and dental coverage negotiated through the Public Employees' Benefit Board (PEBB) on a self-pay basis. For more information visit this page, or contact Human Resources.