Overview | Eligibility | Visa Waiver Program | Resources | Visitor Support


Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), tourism, pleasure of visiting (visa category B-2), or a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2). Guest Lecturers to Oregon State University usually come on a B-1 Business Visa.

Who is eligible for a B-1 Business Visa?

  • Visitors who are either a professor, scientist, university president, business executive, etc.
  • The purpose of the visit is to attend a scientific, educational, or professional conference or to engage in independent research (not collaborative with OSU in any way--this requires a J-1 visa)
  • Visitors who will not receive salary/income or be employed by OSU
  • It is very important to realize that the B-2 visa category (Visitor for Pleasure), is not suitable for official visits to the university. OSU cannot pay visitors on a B-2 visa.

Visa Waiver Program

Travelers coming to the U.S. for tourism or business for 90 days or less from qualified countries may be eligible to visit the U.S. without a visa if they meet the visa waiver program requirements. Select Visa Waiver Program to learn more, and find out if your visitor meets the visa waiver requirements.




How do I…



Invite a B-1 visitor to OSU?

Prepare a letter of invitation which includes the pertinent information your visitor will need to apply for a visa. Download a sample invitation letter template here. 



Help a visitor get a B-1 Business Visa?

Provide a clear letter of invitation for your visitor (see above question). The visitor will then take that letter, along with a valid passport and supporting documents to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that serves closest to the visitor's place of residence.


Pay a visitor?

If you plan to compensate the visitor, work with your Business Center and Business Affairs well in advance of the visitor’s arrival. Follow instructions in the OSU Fiscal Operations Manual section 413 Non-Resident Aliens. Note that the scholar will likely need to file a W-7 to the Internal Revenue Service to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) and file an income tax return with the IRS.


Get library access for my visitor?

Complete and submit the Visiting Scholar OSU Libraries Account Application to the Valley Library Reference Desk to sponsor library privileges for your visitor


Get an OSU ID for my visitor?

Visitors in B-1 status are not eligible for OSU ID numbers or cards.  


Get more information?

For more information regarding the B1 Visa visit the US Department of State’s Business Visa Center and its Visitor Visas - Business and Pleasure page.