Below you can find resources for specific scholar populations and visa types which the Office of International Services (OIS) at Oregon State University (OSU) commonly sponsors: Guest Lecturers (B-1), Employees (H1B, TN, E3), Research Scholars/Professors (J1), Student Interns (J1), and Dependent Family Members. Prospective scholars can find links to information on scholar/faculty visa categories, employment opportunities, and resources.


General Campus Visitors

Visitor or Guest Lecturer (B-1, Visa Waiver Program)

A visitor visa is for an individual who wants to enter the United States temporarily for business, tourism or as a guest lecturer. No collaborative work is allowed with OSU.


Employees (H1-B, TN, E-3)

Employment type visas are evaluated during the hiring process by the Immigration Employment Specialist.

Exchange Visitors in the Research Scholar/Professor/Short-Term Scholar Category (J-1)

The purpose of the J-1 Exchange Program is to provide exchange visitors with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the U.S. and return home to share their experiences.


Exchange Visitors in the Student Intern Category (J-1)

Internship programs are designed to allow foreign college and university students to come to the United States to gain exposure to U.S. culture and to receive hands-on experience in U.S. highed education at OSU in their chosen occupational field.

Family Members

Dependent Family Members (J-2, H-4, E-3D, TD, or other options)

Oregon State University supports faculty and scholars that wish to bring their family member spouse and/or children to the United States.